Technical Advisory Services
Hilco IP Merchant Banking is a leading provider of intellectual property (IP) advisory services. We integrate IP expertise and technical experience with demonstrated business and market acumen to deliver invaluable intelligence to our clients. Hilco IP Merchant Banking supports IP teams in monetization and advises on offensive and defensive strategies. We also support product teams in the creation of winning strategies to combat competitive threats. Our goal is to empower you to protect and grow your business by helping you understand the content and potential of your patent portfolio and make informed IP and technology investment decisions. We accomplish this by working closely with you to mine your portfolio, identify your best assets, improve your portfolio through continuation practice, and identify products infringing your patents. We can further assist you in leveraging your assets through the reverse engineering of infringing products, demonstrating infringement with solid evidence of use by mapping out the specific details of infringement in support of your licensing and litigation efforts. This not only provides a return on your IP investment by generating additional revenue, but strengthens your portfolio via industry recognition of its value.
- Reverse Engineering: Acquire products/services to analyze and tear down, including circuit tracing and extraction, to provide solid evidence of use to demonstrate infringement. Our reverse engineering services prove patent value to drive licensing revenues and/or augment leverage in business negotiation.
- Premier Testing Capabilities: Develop and execute test methodologies in lab and in field and collect critical data and prepare reports detailing test results.
- Patent Mining: Mine the portfolio to identify key assets to support your licensing, litigation, and defensive efforts. Develop a continuation filing strategy around the key assets.
- Standards Analysis: Evaluate patents to determine if they are essential to industry standards.
- Claim Charts: Develop evidence of use claim charts mapping patents to particular products, services, and/or standards.
- Defensive Support: Analyze patents and products/services to provide technical arguments in support of non-infringement and invalidity.
- Prior Art Search: Search prior art from multiple sources and provide a technical opinion with respect to novelty and obviousness.
- Portfolio Development and Management: Conduct internal and external patent portfolio assessment/due diligence from a technical and business perspective to identify monetization, divestiture, and acquisition opportunities. Help develop a strong portfolio by working closely with your inventors to generate robust invention disclosures leading to valuable and strategic patent applications.
- Patent Valuation: Develop valuation of patents, using industry-accepted methodologies, for divestiture, enhancement of company financial position, or M&A purposes.
- Patent Landscape: Analyze patent coverage by technology area, market, and ownership.
- IP Team Augmentation: Complement in-house IP team to develop strategy, harvest inventions, manage portfolios, and supervise outside counsel.
- Expert Witness: Identify appropriate experts, including in-house experts, with deep technical experience and extensive proficiency in preparing expert reports, testifying, and working alongside litigation attorneys.
- Market Analysis: Analyze markets and identify targets and products. Develop economic models.
Hilco IP Merchant Banking Team
Our team includes some of the IP industry’s most respected and capable experts who bring together unique experience and strengths from technical, business, and legal spheres to deliver measurable results. We deliver optimized solutions as our legal and market-centric team work side-by-side with our technical team. Our experience stems from having built and operated IP-centric businesses starting with specific markets, analyzing portfolios with those markets in mind, conducting reverse engineering of products relevant to the markets, and developing claim charts to support go-to-market strategy.
Our patent engineers and attorneys can also integrate with your R&D team to harvest inventions and help develop a strong IP position within your industry so you can extract valuable innovations with minimal impact to business operations. Our team has extensive experience building and managing patent portfolios comprising tens of thousands of patents. The team also has experience working with in-house counsel and R&D teams to help draft and file patent applications with a focus on filing patents relating to inventions that will be most useful to your core business, licensing, or litigation strategies.
Technical Segment Expertise
We are rooted in high tech innovations, industry standards, and IP and market analysis, with over 300 years of combined experience. We provide a unique blend of technical, IP, and market expertise in the wireless, semiconductor, IT & cloud, automotive telematics, internet search and advertising, consumer electronics, telephony systems, networking, audio & video coding, and internet-of-things fields, just to name a few.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY & CLOUD